The New “Green” Committee
November, 2013 Barbara Walvoord, Chair What is the purpose? To protect and enrich Lathrop’s conserved land, wildlife, birds, and native habitat, and to work toward reducing Lathrop’s carbon footprint and addressing climate change. In the words of the Kendal mission, to “walk lightly on the land.” Who is working on it now? Barbara Walvoord and Sharon Grace, …and YOU…. So far, we have…
- Met with Thom, Mike, and Michael Harvey to discuss how to work together on this project.
- Prepared a future presentation for residents (watch for the date!) and for the property committee of the Board
- Identified several potential naturalists who can help us inventory our land and shape a plan for its nourishment
- Begun to inventory and remove invasive plants such as bittersweet and barberry, that threaten to suffocate our trees and form an impenetrable mass in our woods, crowding out the native plants on which our birds, insects, and wildlife depend.
- Started a native wildflower garden in the meadow at the end of the woods path
- Marked a 15-minute walking path from the small garden shed to the bank of Bassett Brook. (Look for the orange ribbons.)